Asphalt is an extremely durable material capable of withstanding excessive foot and vehicle traffic, weather damage, oxidation, and more. With proper care and routine preventative maintenance, like sealcoating, asphalt surfaces can last 15 to 20 years. However, constant wear puts stress on the surface of your driveway or parking lot and as damage begins to accumulate, there comes a point when even the most well-cared-for pavement needs to be replaced.
Signs Your Asphalt Needs To Be Re-Paved
Asphalt damage can present in a variety of ways. Look for these warning signs to get ahead of the damage:
• Large Surface Cracks and Potholes: When water seeps into cracks in the top layer of your asphalt it expands and contracts, causing deterioration and weakening the base layers. Once the foundation is destroyed, the upper layers will continue to erode on a widespread scale.
• Edge Cracks: These long cracks appear on the outer edges of your pavement, running in the direction of the road. Most often, edge cracks form when the surface layer is too thin or poorly supported, or the underlying layers settle.
• Alligator Cracking: When water seeps below the surface of your asphalt, it destroys the foundation, allowing the surface to crumble and crack in a scale-like pattern similar to its reptile namesake. Alligator cracking, or fatigue, can also occur because the pavement is too thin, the base layer is weak, or if there is not enough compaction during installation.
• Rutting: Rutting refers to the longitudinal indentations in pavement following the path of traffic. Ruts form when the pavement is too thin, water penetrates the surface and weakens the base layers, if there is not enough compaction during installation, or as the result of a weak asphalt mixture.
• Raveling: Raveling is the continual disintegration of your pavement’s surface as the binder begins to break down, allowing the stone and sand particles to separate. Left untreated, your pavement will continue to deteriorate, allowing water to threaten the integrity of the base layers.
Rejuvenate Your Asphalt
If your asphalt has deteriorated past the point of a simple sealcoat, turn to Baughman Magic Seal for high-quality, professional paving services.
Contact Us Today
Boost curb appeal. Extend the life of your parking lot. Protect against damage. And more.